The Coat of Arms.
Panama ’s coat of arms seems to lie upon a green background symbolizing the vegetation. It is ogival and diagonal in shape. Its centre depicts the Isthmus and surrounding seas. The sun and the moon show the time of independence marked by the late hours of 3 November 1903. The upper part has two fields, one for the weapons, a sword and rifle that have been hung to show withdrawal from battles among brethren; and the left one portraying the “gules” field, where a large hoe and a spade symbolize work.
A cornucopia, the emblem of wealth, is depicted upon a blue field at the end of the coat of arms and a winged wheel on the left representing progress. On the upper part stands an eagle with his head turned to the left carrying a stripe on its beak saying: “Pro Mundi Beneficio”. Shaped like an arch above the eagle, are the nine stars representing the same number of provinces. Finally, four national flags, folded towards the centre surround the coat of arms.
It was designed by Mr. Nicanor Villalaz with the help of his brother Sebastián Villalaz and it was first shown a few weeks after Colombia’s final liberation took place.